I am a sickeningly big fan of Zooey Deschanel. Her talents include acting, singing and being awkwardly cute - my idol. (No, I'm not joking.)
You'd think it would be easy to create an inspiration board fashioned (pun intended) after Zooey D. because the first things that come to mind are: blouses, high waist skirts, and a-line dresses. But, I argue against the ease as it was truly hard to choose what best represents the talented artist (of sorts) because she's seen at all times in retro-tastic outfits.
Now, I may be disillusioned by the stylists at the set of New Girl (and 500 Days of Summer) to be the cause of each 1960's inspired ensemble, but she has an uncanny way of rocking variations of simple to chic and classy get ups and looking so incredibly comfortable in her own skin.
Here's how you can get your very own Zooey D. look (We're on that first name, last initial basis - you know.)
1. A solid cardigan paired with a pussy bow blouse and high waisted shorts or skirts can deport you back into time with that signature vintage look that you've always wanted. Don't forget a pair of black or colored tights if you're feeling a little conservative (or cold).
2. Probably the easiest way to get your Zooey D. look is slipping on an a-line dress. The a-line dress has the magical ability to cinch any woman's figure at the waist, presenting a slimmer figure with a classy punch. Remember, waist lines were THE THING back in the day, so what better way to show off some curves than with a solid, striped or heart polka dotted dress.
3. Zooey D.'s tootsies seem to spend the most time in some simple black ballet flats. Get yourself some multi-use black flats and a cute pair of red suede pumps to complete your vintage look!
4. What better way to bring out the awkwardly cute nerd from within by solidifying in your look with a pair of thick framed glasses. Zooey D.'s tortoise shell glasses seen on New Girl comes from good ol' Oliver Peoples.
5. To complete your Zooey D. look, throw on some sheer pink lipstick and don't forget the light and flirty pink blush.